This is the time of year when people are busy sharing their gift wish lists. Jewelry, clothes and tech gadgets often top the list of most popular gift ideas, but in Madison County, AL 60 volunteers have committed to building 20 wheelchair ramps for homebound residents.
The project is part of CASA (Care Assurance Systems for the Aging and Homebound) and though the ramps are free for the clients, each ramp can cost between $500 and $1,500 to build. But that won’t deter the volunteers who are determined to finish the job by Christmas.
“They’ll make it happen, that’s how committed they are to this program,” CASA worker Ann Anderson to AL.com. “The volunteers always say it’s the greatest joy when the client comes out in their wheelchair and their eyes light up when they see the ramp”.
The volunteers donate their time and skill, some taking leave from work, to construct wheelchair ramps for the elderly and disabled who are confined to their wheelchairs and can’t safely leave their homes.
Last week the volunteer group finished nine ramps and this week they have seven more scheduled. The event is known as the CASA Wheelchair Ramp Blitz and relies entirely on community donations to fund the building of each ramp.
“When you give someone a wheelchair ramp,” Anderson said, “what you’re really giving them is freedom.”
We think this is a great idea for a holiday gift and encourage everyone to help. Donations can be made online at casamadisoncty.org or mailed to: CASA, 701 Andrew Jackson Way, Huntsville, AL 35801.Read More
In 1992 the International Day of Disabled Persons was officially observed for the first time by the United Nations General Assembly in resolution 47/3. The purpose of the day is to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities.
It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political social, economic and cultural life.
The theme for 2014 is Sustainable Development: The Promise of Technology. The theme focuses on the fact that today there are over 1 billion people living in the world with some form of disability. Disability is associated with 20% of global poverty, of which the majority live in developing countries. Despite being the world’s largest minority group, persons with disabilities remain largely unnoticed by the mainstream media.
The technology theme for 2014 coincides with the launching of the new development framework of sustainable development goals. Three sub-themes were also chosen for the event:
- Disability-Inclusive Sustainable Development Goals
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Emergency Responses
- Creating Enabling Work Environments
At HDS MEDALLION® we are proud to recognize this important day and encourage everyone to look into how they can help promote the awareness of people with disabilities.Read More
When purchasing an HDS Medallion® bag you’re getting the most stylish and practical bag for mobility devices that’s available. Here’s a recap of why our bags stand out among the rest:
- The clever and one-of-a-kind design of the Attachment System in the Premier, Demi-Premier and Metro collections features quality, metal hardware. While we’re flattered that other companies have started to introduce similar concept, it’s important to note that these solutions all use plastic clips rather than metal snap hooks and metal D rings. HDS Medallion hardware comes in brass, nickel and brass with a black coating and is made in Connecticut as opposed to overseas.
- Quality Materials Each bag is made with premier cotton (except for waterproof bags that are constructed and lined in waterproof laminated cotton) or top quality twill or denim. Non HDS Medallion bags tend to use nylon or another thin fabric to line their bags while HDS Medallion uses premier cotton of the same caliber as the outside fabric. A high quality lining inside the bag helps protect and preserve the inside of the bag where most of the wear and tear occurs.
- Contrasting Lining Although a few HDS Medallion bags are lined in solid black, most bags have colored solid or patterned lining materials in keeping with our brand and style. For example, the Yellow Daylilies Demi Bag is lined with an aqua and yellow plaid that complements the colors on the outside. Our Denim Bouquet Premier Bag has contemporary flowers in a range of denim blues for its lining. All bag interior pockets are made of fabric that contrasts with the lining.
- Wide selection in a range of colors, patterns, sizes and embellishments:
- Classic Collection (15” x 12”): 14 different bags in colors ranging from pink to blue to taupe to black & silver and back.
- Premier Collection (15” x 12”): 14 different bags in a range of prints and patterns including paisley, animal, floral, Asian and contemporary. All carry our detachable, adjustable straps.
- Demi-Premiers (13” x 10”): While smaller than Premier, these bags are impressive on their own. There are 9 smaller bags in new patterns and colors – all embellished with everything from ribbons to big buttons to colored and white slides to gorgeous braids.
- Metro Collection (17” x 12”): Available in animal prints — reptile and leopard – along with zippers.
- Made in U.S.A. – While there is a growing trend to manufacture in the U.S.A., we’ve always done so in Massachusetts! We hope all bag manufacturers will eventually bring their products back home to the U.S.A. Even the brass and nickel coated medallions that every bag sports are made here (Rhode Island) as well as other hardware (Connecticut).
- Service – we’re proud of our service representatives who interact with our customers to answer questions, provide information as well as how we treat people who have to return a bag for any reason. Although we have less than 3% returns for all reasons, we view every return as important and strive to handle it well and efficiently.
So check out HDS Medallion online at www.hdsmedallion.com or call us at 877-646-1941.Read More
This special time of year calls for a special sale just for you. For the first time on our website, www.hdsmedallion.com , we’re offering the chance for you to own a lovely, lightweight Pashmina scarf alone or with the purchase of a HDS Medallion bag. Available in a range of beautiful colors and patterns, they’re a perfect complement to our bags. Go ahead and add one of our stunning bags and a beautiful Pashmina scarf to your order and qualify for a rebate on the Pashmina!
What is a Pashmina? Pashmina is a type of fine cashmere wool first woven in India. The name comes from Pashmineh, which is Persian for “made from wool”. These year round HDS Medallion Pashmina scarves that can also be used as a shawl are priced in 3 bands – $15.00, $17.50 and $20.00. Scarf size is 30” x 70” and include a blend of pashmina wool and silk or polyester.
Get 2 Great Gifts Together
With the purchase of one or more HDS MEDALLION CarryAll Bags between Black Friday (November 28th) and New Year’s Eve, you’ll receive a rebate on the price of any single Pashmina purchased on the same order:
- Buy one HDS MEDALLION CarryAll Bag and one Pashmina to receive a rebate equal to 25% of the price of the Pashmina.
- Purchase two CarryAll Bags and one Pashmina to receive a rebate equal to 50% of the Pashmina’s price.
- Receive a rebate for the entire price of the Pashmina if 3 or more CarryAll Bags are purchased.
Note: If multiple Pashminas are bought along with the bag(s), the rebate is calculated on the lowest priced Pashmina. Only those bags and scarves present on one order will be used to determine the rebate and each order is treated separately.
Rebates are calculated on the price of the scarf before shipping and any taxes and will be sent to the customer within 2 weeks by whatever means they used to pay for their order (credit card or PayPal).
Quantities are limited so don’t delay since back orders will not be permitted.
Get your stylish HDS Medallion bag and Pashmina scarf now!Read More
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
– Steve Jobs
Since introducing the first HDS Medallion bags, we’ve added many new styles and patterns to fit more mobility devices and to meet your personalized needs. The creativity you have shown us on the many ways you’re adapting and using the bags to simplify life on a mobility device is fantastic! Stay tuned to this and future newsletters…we’ll show you how versatile these bags are so that you too may become inspired to use it in a new way.
While HDS Medallion bags are stylish, colorful and tastefully designed bags, we’re proud of their practical functionality that we have designed. We cherish meeting with you at tradeshows and events, talking on the phone or conversing on social media and learning more about how you use them. In the last two years, we’ve seen many innovative ways that you, our customers, are using HDS Medallion bags to ease your life, express your individuality and organize your belongings on a mobility device.
Have You Considered Using Your Bag Like This?
HDS Medallion’s original bags, our Classic Collection, are geared predominately for walkers, scooters and thin-armed power chairs. Shortly after introducing those bags, we received numerous requests from people with all kinds of chairs/devices. That’s when we designed the simple, unique, clever attachment system that allows you to configure the straps so the bag can work on all types of mobility devices. In our Premier, Demi-Premier and Metro Collection Bags, the straps are detachable and adjustable allowing you to attach the straps’ metal snap hooks to any of 6 strategically placed metal D-rings inside the bag.
By adjusting the placement and length of the straps, HDS Medallion envisioned 4 major arrangements to fit most devices in logical places (e.g. armrests, bars, etc.) We’ve demonstrated our Premier, Demi-Premier and Metro Collections in the following ways at the tradeshows we’ve been exhibitors:
- Two shortened straps hooked front to back in parallel D-rings work with thin armed power chairs, medical scooters’ armrests or front handles, transport wheelchairs’ armrests, walkers’ bars and manual wheelchairs with a bar in the back.
- Same arrangement as above with straps extended allows thick- armed power chair users to utilize the bag on the armrest.
- A shortened strap can be looped into each side seam’s D ring. Both snap hooks from one strap should hook into the same side D ring. This arrangement allows you to place these loops over the back handles of a wheelchair or a power chair with such handles.
- Use as a shoulder bag with both straps fully extended and then hooked into the two D rings on the same side of the bag – one strap front to front D rings while the other does the same on the back D-rings. This is a feature quite unique to HDS MEDALLION.
Have You Ever Considered Using Your Bag In This Way?
- As a cross body bag
- Around the entire back of a low wheelchair (i.e. Colours wheelchair)
- Under a person’s legs in a power or wheelchair tomore easily reach into the bag for some people
- Under seats to tastefully cover urine bags
- As a fanny pack
- Extended straps wrapped in a figure 8 around handles of a manual wheelchair for security
As more wheelchair users participate in sports it is becoming evident that new technology needs to be developed to keep pace with the rigors of playing games such as basketball, hockey and tennis. One problem all wheelchair athletes face is getting their wheelchair back up right after a fall. Playing competitive sports leads to some rough collisions and many wheelchair users have voiced concern about not being able to get their wheelchairs back up fast enough and having the game stopped.
Now, though, with the help of students at the Imperial College in London, wheelchairs are being designed so that people with disabilities can easily push themselves back onto their wheels. Basketball is the first sport the students thought of when developing the technology but say it can be used for other sports as well.
When disabled people participate in wheelchair sports they are strapped into their wheelchairs and find it difficult to push the wheelchair upright because of the way the wheelchairs are currently designed. Another problem is that some players have less control over their abdominal muscles and have weak upper arm strength so they lack the power to push themselves up.
The design by the Imperial students enables players to push themselves into an upright position by augmenting the front bumper section of a sports wheelchair with a metal wheel and rubber casing and a clutch mechanism in the frame. This provides a lockable pivot point between the wheelchair’s bumper and the floor so that players can push themselves up from the floor and re-right the chair without assistance or having the game paused.
The project is part of a five-year Rio Tinto Sports Innovation Challenge which aims to harness the creativity of Imperial’s students in order to make sports more accessible to people with disabilities and improve the sporting and training equipment available to them.
Simone Castagno, one of the Imperial designers, told the campus newspaper, “We want to empower players who compete in wheelchair sports, so that they don’t have to rely on others to get them upright and back in the game. Ultimately, we hope to see our device being used by sportspeople in the near future.”Read More
Mulberry Criss Cross, Jeweled Ribbons, Amethyst Grandeur and Royal Blue Lumina are the newest bags to join our ever-popular line of designer mobility bags. A bag is a perfect way to spread some cheer this holiday. Order today and get $5.00 off and make sure the bag arrives in time for the holidays! Shop HDS Medallion Bags.
Mulberry Criss Cross in the Demi-Premier Collection
A stunning Demi-Premier bag boasting a rich, vibrant mulberry top over an amethyst grandeur print base. What really captures an admirers’ eye is the dramatic criss cross braid in subtle shades of gold, bronze and silver. It’s striking. It’s vivid. It’s unique – just like you! Lined in mulberry. Colors: mulberry, deep purple, mid-purple, lavender, and coral-rose. This bag can go on almost any mobility device from walkers to low wheelchairs and back!
Jeweled Ribbons in the Premier Collection
Designed for special women who love jeweled colors of eye-catching crimson, emerald, amethyst, and sapphire in soft ribbons edged in gold on a black background. It’s all captured in a 4” horizontal band surrounded by two small bands of black and gold stardust. Every bag is unique as the center band is determined by the cutting of the fabric. The bag is lined in royal purple. This bag looks spectacular on power chairs and wheelchairs, and can work on walkers and scooters as well.
Amethyst Grandeur in the Premier Collection
It’s here! Based on all your requests for a pretty purple bag, we’re excited to offer this fabulously functional Amethyst bag you’re going to love. Wishes do come true!
Amethyst Grandeur is a gorgeous bag featuring a montage of dark and medium purple and lavender etched with gold. The purple and gold braid mirrors the fabric. And surprise, there’s a fun touch of a periodic splash of coral-rose. How could you not love its appearance? It’s easy to configure the bag for use on your mobility device using the D-Ring and adjustable, detachable straps with snap hooks. The bag is lined in jewel swirl colors of purple, pink, rose and soft red.
Royal Blue Lumina in the Premier Collection
Fit for a queen or a princess who adores sapphires, turquoise, emeralds and gold. Revel in the compliments you’ll receive when you sport this extraordinary bag on your mobility device such as a power chair, wheelchair or scooter. The multi-colored medallion formations swirl with royal and peacock blues, light navy, turquoise and the greens of emeralds etched in metallic gold. The light navy ribbon with its floral satin finished brass slide with raised flowers and vines echo the theme. Bag lining comes in a vivid turquoise cotton.
Won’t this lush bag look just great on a walker, medical scooter, power chair, wheelchair or other mobility device of someone you love? Or add this to your own holiday wish list!
Limited quantities are available, so don’t wait. Only offered on www.hdsmedallion.comRead More